What happened on Burke Street?

Broken Hill residents are still wondering what happened on Burke Street last week.

Community members are desperate for answers after the chilling news a man’s body had been found lying on the roadside filtered through the town 11 days ago.

The Barrier Truth spoke to a member of the public who lives in Railway Town, near where the tragic incident had occurred.

“I really do hope we get some answers because we still don’t know the gentleman’s name,” a local resident said.

On January 25 at 12:50pm, emergency services were called to a home on Burke Street, following reports of a concern for welfare.


Minutes after, some eyebrows were raised when several police vehicles were spotted rushing down Blende Street towards the vicinity.

Police immediately established a crime scene outside a property located few doors down from the closed Hillside Hotel.

The local resident, who was not home at the time, said it was a “pretty devastating” experience and remembered arriving to their residence while authorities were present.

“I pulled up and there were (police) cars everywhere,” they said. “Just to view the tarp and to know there was someone under there was traumatising.”

The surrounding streets were blocked off to the public, as motorists were required to use alternatives routes and puzzled onlookers gathered.

The next day, it was revealed that the deceased was a 47-year-old man who sustained a wound to his neck, confirmed when officers attached to Barrier Police District arrived at the scene.

NSW Police reported that the scene was forensically examined as part of the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the man’s death.

An appeal for public assistance was launched with no arrests made in relation to the matter at that stage.

Despite admitting relief and gratitude that police were quick to act, the neighbouring resident believes more information would put the entire community at ease and dispel rumours.

“We would definitely like to know,” they said. “If there was someone out there that was a perpetrator, then we want to know they (police) were on it.

“When I heard a child was involved, I was crying.”

The town has been on edge since the heart-breaking incident with many false reports swirling around.

Yesterday, NSW Police said: “following extensive investigations, police have determined that the man’s death is not suspicious. A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.”

It is not clear if the man’s identity will be released to the public. If this incident has caused any distress, please contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Support the Barrier Truth!

We are a small, independently owned newspaper. If you got something from this article, giving something back helps us to continue publishing the truth from the Broken Hill region. Every little bit counts.

More Articles