Fisher Street House lost to fire

Four Fire and Rescue crews attended a fire at a Fisher Street house at 9:15am Tuesday.

The brick home was ablaze with smoke billowing from the roof when the Fire Brigades, Police and Essential Energy reached the site 6 minutes after being contacted.

Station Commander Scott Parker said they were able to enter the house, turn off the electricity at the power board and find the fire source.

“The crews did a great job clearing the home then extinguishing the fire,” he said.

Luckily the residents, a mother and daughter, were not home and the neighbours rang 000.

The Fire and Rescue crews saved three dogs from the blaze.

Commander Parker said there was a build up of gases from the fire including carbon monoxide and toxic fumes from plastic domestic items which were an added danger for the fire crews.

“It’s very important people realise how dangerous house fires are; the crews are trained to deal with the build up of gases which could kill someone if they breathe them in.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He explained brick homes trap heat and in this case the heat inside was intense.

He said whilst the number of fires in homes have decreased due to smoke alarms people still need to remember to turn off devices that emit heat like irons, curling wands or sandwich makers and place them in a safe place to cool.

Support the Barrier Truth!

We are a small, independently owned newspaper. If you got something from this article, giving something back helps us to continue publishing the truth from the Broken Hill region. Every little bit counts.

More Articles