Fire guts Eyre Street House

An Eyre Street house fire may have started in a child’s bed on Sunday morning according to the local fire brigade service. PICTURE: EVE-LYN KENNEDY

An Eyre Street house fire may have started in a child’s bed on Sunday morning according to the local fire brigade service.

A blanket had caught alight and was dragged out of the house by the father who unfortunately incurred burns to his leg from the “melting” blanket.

At 8:15 the fire brigade received numerous calls that the house was on fire and two trucks attended.

The fire brigade was informed on the way to the blaze that all the people were out  of the house and the house was fully involved (all the house was on fire).

Unbeknown to the firefighters the father thought another male occupant might still be in the house and re-entered the burning home to check.

The other male was not there but the father suffered further burns to his head, face and possibly airways Mr Peters said.

Unfortunately, the house was behind a two metre high locked fence that the fire crew had to open before they could gain entry.

The fire was too intense to enter the home according to Station Officer Don Peters.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said this meant the fire brigade used a defensive method where firefighters with Air Breathing Apparatuses are not used and the fire is put out from the outside of the house.

Two local brigade trucks used three hoses to fight the fire and they were supported by the Rural Fire Service.

The situation was complicated further by the firefighters not being able to reach the fuse box and disconnect electricity through the house.

Station Officer Peters explained that electricity was still live in the home, and with the house being made of corrugated iron, the electricity could make contact with the outer walls and electrify the whole house.

The electrification could also spread along other connections and electrify other objects in the adjacent area making the entire site incredibly dangerous.

The yard also had three gas cylinders with one venting gas due to internal pressure caused by the heat.

The fire brigade applied a continuous stream of water to the cylinder to stop it from exploding.

Once the police finished their external assessment the firefighters did a full overhaul to make sure all possible hot spots were fully extinguished.

ADVERTISEMENT

The fire collapsed the front veranda and burnt or partly burnt all supportive structures within the house.

Mr Peters said he expects the house to collapse completely at any time.

Support the Barrier Truth!

We are a small, independently owned newspaper. If you got something from this article, giving something back helps us to continue publishing the truth from the Broken Hill region. Every little bit counts.

More Articles